Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Wishlist

Based on historical trends, we should start hearing about a new version of Lightroom in the next couple of months and hopefully see a final release by late spring. Granted, not being privy to any insider information I could way off in either direction but ithas been a while since Lightroom 3 came out, so I am at least hopeful we will see something soon.

If you haven’t seen it already, be sure and check out our Lightroom 3 Resource Center.

Now I love Lightroom, it is my primary editing tool but it is not perfect and there are certainly some things I would like to see improved and added and would love to hear what you would like to see in the next major release. Even though Adobe may not be listening to us directly, it will be interesting to see what we can come up with and see what actually makes it into the product when it comes out. I will start with Team Dojo here and then let everyone else chime in with theirs:

Kerry Garrison

• Improved Watermarking
    More options, borders
  • Improved noise reduction
    Current NR is really good, but still not quite as good as dedicated software tools
  • Improved tethering support
    Current tethering does not allow you to change camera settings and does not support Live View
  • Improved Wacom tablet support
    I love my tablet but it is BARELY supported in Lightroom 3, I want FULL support
  • Album page design
    Real, actual useful page design with effects, opacity, stacking, etc
  • Ability to add video clips to slide shows
    Video editing should be nothing more than beginning and end trimming
  • Easier camera specific calibration
    I currently use X-Rite Colorchecker Passport which works well
  • Network capabale catalogs
    I use three different machines for editing and this one is a real nightmare for me

Maurice Naragon

• Better image sorting options
  • Improved JPEG compression output that matches Photoshops
    Currently you have to use a might higher number in Lightroom for same visual quality at often 2-3 times the file size as a file saved in Photoshop
  • Ability to use shift-key to draw straight lines with the local adjustment brush
    Why this hasn’t been there from day one is a mystery

What’s on your Lightroom 4 wishlist? Post in the comments, who knows, maybe Adobe will take a look and try to add some of the more popular requests.

1. @JimRector says:

A full healing brush and clone tool would be nice. With that and tools from Nik and OnOne I would almost never have to go to PS.

2. Nat Coalson says:

I'd love to see soft proofing, basic video editing and book layout capabilities.

3. Mark Teskey says:

Adding white balance to the adjustment brush would be a big win for me – I do architectural photography and there can be a huge difference between WB inside & outside. It would sure be nice to just 'brush' just the windows to warm them up!

4. Kamil says:

I agree with Kerry Garrison – i want better support for Wacom Intuos tablet.

5. Andrew Brown says:

simple really – i would like the brush tool to have a square or rectangle option instead of just being round!
    How many square items can you process with a round brush?

There's enough options in Photoshop, surely they can port one of them over?

6. Debra says:

Fix the cropping tool! It is currently very hard to make fine adjustments with the crop tool since both the border and the image moves. Keep the image still and make the border a 1 px dashed line, please!

7. Shutterdipity says:

Keywording by face recognition would be great, like iPhoto.

8. @v_vernigor says:

RGB and maybe CMYK Curves!!!

9. Justin says:

some HDR imaging support, what if we have lightroom but not photoshop? We cant use Merge to HDR in photoshop so it would be nice to have some sort HDR imaging support so we dont have to result to downloading thirdparty programs.

10. Ron says:

Ik like to see a file list in the library module, just like in the windows explorer. Including a lot of columns like metadata (Exif).

11. Mike Turner says:

Just saw something interesting.. Matt Kloskowski posted his Lightroom Killer Tips today, and in the video he saves a file…
    In his Downloads folder is "LR4R15ReleaseNotes.pdf" and "LR_4.0_796371_osx10_Release_Installer.zip". So, it's coming soon! 😉

12. Cédric G. says:

Hi

I want OLE Automation piloting from any language supporting OLE Automation, as it's possible with Photoshop (including access to photo library and metadatas ^_^)

A strong improvement in keyword management should be a good thing too :
    – keywords replacement
    – merging capabilities
    – import/export of image lists with metadatas (in CSV, text, Excel formats…)

Another detail : retrieving pictures from a name list (usefull for professional photographers who work with photography agencies)

13. Priyanka says:

1. SURELY Better support for video making – things like using multiple audio files for one mp4 file, ability to add multiple text slides in between, different duration for different slides etc
    2. Borders, margins – very very basic requirement!
    3. Make diptych/triptych/quadtych easily in LR itself..
    4. Better clone/heal ability.
    5. Adjustment of white balance of selected areas.
    6. Basically everything that will make us run to photoshop 🙂

14. I will settle for something really simple. PNG import, since lots of the iPad tools produce png format output files

15. fStopper says:

Downloaded Beta 4 today; many of the requests above made the cut. I like the changes to the basic Develop sliders, and the Adjustment Brush enhancements. The new Map and Book modules seem good for a first pass. Additional minor changes I'd like to see: using mouse scroll wheel to select image in Develop like it does in Library, Reverse the rotate slider in Develop -> Lens Corrections. Think it would be more intuitive. Flip the "Rotate" arrows in Library. Again, more intuitive. All seemingly minor but would help me greatly.

16. fStopper says:

Correction: Rotate slider behavior corrected in in LR 3.6 update and LR 4 Beta.