GoCast #1 – Dealing With Clients on the Cheap

This is episode one of a new series called GoCasts where I take some normally useless time spent driving to and from clients and jobs and discuss a particular topic. In this episode I discuss dealing with customers that are really on the cheap and think you should be charging almost nothing for your work.

Special thanks to our GoCast Sponsor GoPro

Please let me know if you enjoy these small segments. I do apologize for the poor video of this one as it was very late in the evening. Upcoming ones look better, but it’s not about the video, it’s all about the content. Post in the comments below and let me know what you think.

GoCast Host: Kerry Garrison

1. David says:

I like the new gocasts kerry!

2. Rusty Tripod says:

A budget bride can be told to purchase a DSLR and appropriate card that she can give to a family member with a good eye. The member can put the camera on jpeg and shoot. When it is done, she will have the images and a camera thereby meeting her budget with extras. Of course, the shots may not be professional. One can note that most images offered at a price equal to or lower than the price of a prosumer DSLR will not likely be professional either. Thus,. most professionals who offer additional services will most likely not begin at prices below the cost of a prosumer DSLR.

3. Rusty Tripod says:

4. Jerome says:

Great Go cast. Just remember to watch the road!

5. wetzelphoto says:

I consider myself to be a pretty good photographer but I am not a wedding photographer and have never shot a wedding. When a couple hires a professional wedding photographer they are paying for much more then the photographers time, talent and expenses, they also are paying for their EXPERIENCE. I would never ever consider to be hired as the wedding photographer. I can take well composed, technically good images, but I DO NOT have the experience needed to cover all the bases shooting a wedding. I would do a much better job then uncle Bob would, but that alone is not enough. There can be no do overs with a wedding like there can be with a product shot or portrait session. If the photographer misses a key moment – it's gone forever. I just had a friend of mine tell my completely unpleased she was with the photographs of her daughters wedding. They did not go the crags list round – but they did do it on the cheap. They got exactly what they paid for. People are uneducated about these facts and it is our job as photographers to help assist in their education.

6. Robert Bostick says: