My Take on Android Tablets vs iPad

With the new Android tablets hitting the market right now as well as the iPad 2 being out, a lot of people keep asking me whether they should get an Android Tablet or an iPad. This is an argument that is every bit as heated as Mac vs Windows, Canon vs Nikon, or RAW vs JPEG. My approach here is going to show the differences in, hopefully, as unbiased means as possible.

1. Lisa Olinda says:

I have to say that after using a XOOM and a 1st generation iPad that the iPad wins hands down. Much more responsive. After using an android based phone and an iPhone again I say that the iPhone wins for smoothness of use. I can use the iPhone with one hand where I always had to hold the Droid with one hand and swipe with the other hand. Each had the apps I wanted to use. Oh dear…does that make me an Apple Fan Girl?

• kgarrison says:

And I am using a XOOM with a different launcher and several customizations and I think it destroys my wife's 1st generation iPad and is on par with my friend's iPad 2 for speed and responsiveness. On my phone, if you use the Swype keyboard you are seriously two-handing the phone. I recently switched to swiftkey on both my phone and XOOM and am MUCH happier with my text input now. I don't think that makes you a fangirl or me a fanboy, I think it means we are attracted to different devices for different reasons.

The big problem with Android devices is that there are a lot of slow, crappy ones on the market. You can even pick up a 10" tablet for under $100 and you will absolutely hate it. With Apple, there are no cheap crappy versions out there.

• Lisa Olinda says:

My oldest son would jailbreak the XOOM and I am sure have it snappy in a flash. I had to chuckle at the fangirl/fanboy comment because we are a divided home. Husband is diehard Apple fan. Oldest son hates Apple because it is so much harder to tweak the hardware. Second oldest works for Apple. I try to stay decidedly in the middle by using a Windows and Mac system. Got to keep peace and harmony in my home. 🙂

2. A Enyart says:

After the news about the iphone and ipad's tracers and how easy they are to break into, I wouldn't have one if given to me.

3. @roteague says:

I've been in the market for a tablet myself, however, the iPad is not under consideration; I just plain don't like Apple designs (I find them ugly), and I don't like Apple as a company. I've looked at the Samsung tablet, and while nice, it isn't as responsive as I would like. I've heard the same comments about the XOOM, although I haven't tried one. I don't think Android has the smooth transations that you can get with the iPad. Currently, I've been looking at the Acer Iconia. However, I may wait until the Windows 8 tablets get released; I currently use a Windows Phone 7 device, and I'm excited to see this experience move into table form.

4. Dave Watts says:

the Cius is the only obvious choice as a tablet for business. From enterprise management to security, no matter what 3rd party apps and add-ons are spewed forth as afterthoughts to attempt to line up the iPad (Playbook, Touch, etc) with enterprise, the Cius is the clear answer.

David Watts