Podcast #88 – Talking with Jason Anderson about building your lighting kit

Kerry and Jason talk about building your first lighting kit on a budget. Everyone needs a lighting kit but many people are intimidated by the upfront costs. In this show, Kerry and Jason walk through the steps you should take to get start by buying very affordable pieces and then building into a more robust lighting kit over a period of time. During the show, different places to buy equipment are mentioned so you don’t have to look all over to find the part they talk about.

Show Links

Gadget Infinity

Flash Zebra

Show Hosts

Kerry Garrison

Jason Anderson

1. ascrubb says:

Great show as always. However, I find it funny that you guys were discussing a wireless flash system in the Canon camera bodies that didn't that the Canon 7D has a commander mode and can control Canon speedlites wirelessly. And it's not just your show, it seems that most podcasts and shows forget that fact when talking about Nikon's wireless CLS system and wishing Canon had a version.

Otherwise, great show.

• kgarrison says:

There is nothing special about the 7D's commander mode. It is a near-infrared system just like it has always been which is very limiting. What we would like to see is a radio-based system which would allow for lights to be placed outside of the line of sight. That is something the 7D and existing Canon flashes (or Nikon flashes for that matter) cannot do today without tools like Pocketwizards or RadioPoppers.

2. Chet Scerra says:

I love your podcast and feel that you provide a great service to photographers. I do have a couple of questions:
    1) you mention that you guys are doing some Lightroom webinars. I just bought LR3 and would like some help with it. Please direct me to how I can participate in your webinars. Today is August 28.

2) in this podcast you spoke highly of some printing house…National something or other. I don't want to have to listen to the whole podcast again to find this name. Can you direct me? I see you place links to certain places (Gadget Infinity, Zebra), but – unless I'm not seeing it – it would be very helpful to provide a link for all the places you mention. Thanks again for your help.
    PS I'd like to make a financial contribution to your effort….where to send???
    Chet

3. Ronderick Henry says:

Thanks for this podcast. I'm new and was intimidated by all the lighting information but you made it plan.

4. Jabilson007 says:

I was wondering if you had some tips on getting started with this gear? I got an inexpensive manual flash on eBay and am unsure what settings on flash and camera should be set. Do I set the flash at 1/2 and adjust up or down? What f-stop and shutter speed should I use? When should I shoot through or reflect wit the umbrella? Thanks for the great podcasts and any help is appreciated.

5. Rob says:

Great episode – learned a heap! More please … Love a podcast on a posing guide – how about. the Divas?

6. Mike says:

Just got a chance to catch up and listen. Excellent episode. I love the fact that this episode was so hands-on and included specifics about where to order and prices. No vague generalities here. Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience. I recently found an old flash that I'd forgotten that I had. You inspired me to dust it off and experiment with a cheap wireless trigger system (along with my Nikon SB600). Gadgetinfinity should be a sponsor as I am about to go there to pick up some of the stuff you mentioned. Thanks for all! – Mike @manualDSLR

7. Edo says:

Love the episode!

I directly ordered the long ETTL cord. They are not available in locally in my Country and I'm not confident with (the) E-bay so I still hadn't bought it. FlashZebra.com sent it right over the ocean and within 4 working-days got my cable. (be aware 2-3 weeks is normal, so don't be mad if it takes 3 weeks!). In comparison the Canon 50cm is really not long enough. I've been playing with it for two days now and loving it.

A second order (different shop) with ring-flash adapter is still underway.
    🙂 Big(er) umbrella's, clamps and light stands are on my wish-list for Christmas 🙂

Ha, ha, it's been an inspirational show for me
    Keep up the great shows!