Podcast #84 – Conversation with Mark Robert Halper – Doing Personal Projects
Do you have a personal project you are working on? If not, than this is a good show for you to listen to as I talk with Mark Robert Halper about how to get started putting together a personal project. Mark shares his list of how to make your personal project successful and then we take a look at Mark’s latest project, Sunlight and Water.
- Ask yourself – what do you love?
- Set aside time and money – and know your limitations.
- Come up with a few ideas – brainstorm with a few people for an hour two or three -and do it a few times.
- Choose a visual style.Â A few consistent elements, but not too many.Â Have room to grow.
- Keep it possible.Â (While the Sunlight and Water work was certainly an investment for me, my other personal projects cost little or nothing at all.Â I found the models, and set everything up.Â There is nothing keeping you from doing the same thing, except yourself.)
- Just plan one set – too many creates too much resistance.
- Find your subjects.
- Schedule it, just like any other shoot.
- Edit and finish.
- Look for points of growth.Â Where can you improve?Â What repeated?Â Where can you step off from?
- Plan a second set (see 5-8).
- Think about big ideas.
- Show the work.
Be sure and check out Mark’s Sunlight and Water project at http://sunlightandwater.com
You can find Mark’s website and info about all of his upcoming workshops at: http://studiomark.com/
You can also check out my wedding shot with a Lensbaby at:
Call in to leave a question for future shows at (888) 436-8647
This podcast is also available on iTunes.