If you have ever re-sized an image you know that you always lose a lot of image quality whenever you do that, especially when having to blow things up really large. The solution may just be with OnOne Software’s Genuine Fractals 6. This tool is designed purely to handle your image resizing needs. For myself, I often have to scale things like screenshots for use in the books that I have been writing so that the images look good in the books.
Does scaling images have to suck?
The problem with scaling images up is that the software has to examine the image and guess what pixels need to be added to make the image look right and maintain quality, detail, and sharpness. Without a very sophisticated algorithm, you end up with blocky and blurry images when you are done. This is exactly what Genuine Fractals was designed to solve.
Photoshop CS4 vs Genuine Fractals 6
While Photoshop does an ok job at upsizing images, it most certainly does not do a terrific job. Let’s take a look at what Photoshop can do versus what Genuine Fractals can do on a small photo.Â The original photo we are going to use is this photo that originally was at 640px wide. Let’s pit Photoshop CS4 vs. Genuine Fractals 6.
The following examples show the difference between the two programs:
As you can see, the image scaled with Photoshop is much softer, looking out of focus than the one scaled with Genuine Fractals. This is a rather extreme example since we started with a pretty small image to scale up but it does prove the point. My normal use is for scaling screenshots up from 72dpi to 150dpi for use in the books I am writing and it does an awesome job of that.
Using Genuine Fractals
Genuine Fractals is a Photoshop plugin and when activated opens in its own interface with the toolbar on the right Besides just scaling images up or down, it can also add texturing and film grain which can help improve the perception of sharpness.
Another useful feature is a tool to create the data needed for gallery wrap images where the image continues off the edge of the frame and continues along the outside edge.
Key Features of Genuine Fractals 6
Genuine Fractals may seem like a pretty basic program but it does have an impressive list of features as well.
- Resize images up to 1000%
- Maintain sharp edges and minute detail
- Control texture for maximum quality with different image types
- Apply sharpening based on luminosity only
- Add simulated film grain for perceptual sharpening
- Includes document size presets for common photo and paper sizes
- Supports cropping and resizing in one step
- Supports resizing RGB images
- Supports resizing grayscale images
- Supports LAB images
- Supports layered Photoshop files
- Tiling feature – create tiled mosaics
- Batch process multiple files at once
- Supports resizing CMYK imagesÂ **
- Gallery Wrap feature – add extended margins for printing on canvas **
- Integrates with Photoshop Lightroom **
- Integrates with Apple Aperture **
** Only availale in the Professional Edition
Windows XP SP2 or Vista
Microsoft .Net 2.0 Framework or higher
Mac OS X
Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later
Universal Binary – Supports Intel Processors
Photoshop CS2(v9.0.2), CS3, or CS4
Photoshop Elements 4 or later
512MB of RAM
25 MB of disk space
Adobe Flash Player 9
Internet connection for update checking & tutorial movies
Genuine Fractals Demo
In this video, Kerry shows how to use Genuine Fractals to scale up images.